Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fabric covered Moleskins tutorial


As soon as my cousin (who has a awesome blog, orangepeelbaby) gave me this cute notebook last Christmas, I spent the whole year wondering how she made it...I finally got the scoops and besides being so easy and fast, it is totally adorable and makes the best little gift..(or keep for yourself, I stole all my sisters ones and have like 4, there so great)



MATERIALS NEEDED:
Moleskine journals- I recommend getting the kraft brown covered ones, the other colors might show through the fabric, they sell them in packs of 3. (I found mine at Boarders and Amazon also carries them)

3 scraps of fabric you love (key to making these look so cute) measuring at least 11" x 9"

double sided fusible webbing, approximately same amount of you have in fabric (I used wonder under because I had it, but there are many kinds. got mine at jo-anns)

iron, ironing board

Here's what you do, you could probably figure it out but just in case...

How to make:
1. Cut a piece of the fusible webbing slightly larger than the size of your journal when opened and completely flat.

2. Iron on webbing to your scrap fabric's wrong side, following the package instructions.

3. When cooled, peel the paper backing off the webbing. ( I like to use a needle or pin and sore this area, it makes it easier to remove.

4. Center the journal on fabric's wrong side, making sure you have it centered within the area covered by the fusible webbing. Close the journal, keeping the fabric folded around it.

5. With your iron, hold the journal in your hand, spine up, and carefully iron the spine area to gently adhere the fusible webbing first.

6. Once you feel it's set, open the journal, cover facing up, and in small sections, begin adhere the fusible webbing to the journal cover. You will see it start to adhere. Allow to cool slightly.

7. Trim the fabric completely flush with the edges of the journal cover all around, then iron the corners and edges of your journal again to be sure all are fused together.


I'm really into leaving the selvage on things, which I think looks great on this book...so pop in some good music and have fun making this notebooks...

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...