Tuesday, January 18, 2011

cute giraffe rattle for charity...




I have to admit when I first was approached to donate some handmade baby items to a great cause called "Boots and Booties"
(a local non profit who was throwing a huge baby shower for 111 expecting military moms) I thought "okay I have some burp cloths and bibs I can donate" BUT....being a new year and my new motto being "GO HARD, OR GO HOME"!!! I decided to make 111 items of something...(eeek)

It took me about 2 days to figure out what to make, I knew I needed it to be small, simple, fast, easy, and use up the supplies I had...(namely fabric scraps, because boy! I have a ton) I'm so glad I had bought Lotta Jansdotter's book SIMPLE SEWING FOR BABY, a while back (I got mine from Jo-ann's but any supplies center would sell it) because in there I found the pattern for this little fabric giraffe rattle..I knew this is what I would be making..


I soon realized that one giraffe was really fast, easy, small and simple to make BUt to make 111 well I needed to call in the troops.. My wonderful husband helped turn the bodies after I got them all put together, and my ever so helpful 2 yr old helped pass me stuffing but only if I said "please" each time she handed me handfuls...(don't you just love kids?)


After I got all 111 bodies stuffed, I got together with my friend (as our daughters played) and we spend 3 hrs (totally didn't think it would take that long) sewing up the bodies...
Thanks Kelsie for your help..

I also stuffed them with a bell so they would rattle.. These are going to make some babies really happy and I"m so glad that I was able to participate..Now...I wonder if I should brainstorm something for next year, just in case they contact me again!

5 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

wow!! I am way impressed!

Javorkowo Aga Jaw said...

cute giraffe

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

So neat! And so generous of you too! I am sure they will be well loved!

Emily said...

Adorable! Great work!!!

Quiltstory said...

Yay!! I am so glad I got to see them, they are soo cute and what a nice things for you to do!! !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...